Grain Free Orange Coconut Muffins! That is what is on today's plate. Don't they look delicious? Trust me they are. But before I let you get to the recipe we have a few very important things to discuss. Like how my week was. Because it was a good one. Why? My boyfriend got a puppy! His name is Finegan (like Mr. Dressup's dog! Did anyone else watch that show? Am I dating myself here?). And what's even more exciting is that his uncle bought Finegan's sister, Luna, so they have been staying together all the time. They are the cutest! Seriously life is just so much happier with a puppy. It's truly impossible to have a bad day with a puppy around. True fact my friends, true fact. Watching them play together is one of the funniest things. Everything is a new adventure! They came from Las Angeles California, so they had never seen snow before arriving. Watching them discover it for the first time was so hilarious! A few things we have learned with these guys around:
1. Anything on the ground (or even 2-3 feet above ground) is not safe!
2. Puppy teeth are sharp (ouch!)
3. You can never have enough toys
4. Walking on a leash is a learned skill
5. Play time is ALL THE TIME
6. Silence is always a bad sign
7. Chewing your food is only optional
8. Even little puppies have big voices when they want to be heard
9. You can never have too many best friends
10. 4:30AM is the perfect wake up time (some of us are not so thrilled about this one)
The not so great part about my week? Being on call for all the hospitals in Calgary. So much time driving in my car! I should really have logged my mileage this week. It would have been ugly. Needless to say I didn't get up to much else this week. Work and puppies. That's about all that's happening around here folks. Oh and food! Of course food. Which is the real reason you are here I know. So let's talk about food. Grain Free Orange Coconut Muffins to be exact. To be honest I am not really sure how this recipe came about. Regardless, these ones are tasty! They make a great breakfast, snack or even dessert. The other great thing about these muffins? They only contain 1/4 cup of honey for the entire batch. With the natural sweetness of orange and coconut there is no need to overdo the added sweeteners. Your tastebuds (and your waistlines) are going to thank me. Plus these muffins are nut free, dairy free, and of course, grain free. These are also compatible with a paleo, GAPS, SCD and gluten free diet. I hope you like them!
Until next time, happy eating friends!
And if you have a chance please don't forget to visit my social media pages on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook.
Grain Free Orange Coconut Muffin Recipe
1/2 cup + 2 TBSP organic coconut flour (This is the brand I recommend)
1/4 cup tapioca flour (buy here)
1 cup full fat coconut milk
1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
1/4 cup melted coconut oil (This kind is my favourite)
1/4 cup local honey
2 eggs (preferably from cage free chickens)
1 packed TBSP orange zest
1 tsp organic vanilla extract (I use this one)
1 tsp gluten free baking soda (find here)
pinch sea salt
1. Preheat your oven to 350F
2. Add the dry ingredients to a large mixing bowl and mix well
3. Add the remaining ingredients to the bowl and mix well with a spoon or pastry blender
4. Line a muffin tray with your silicone muffin cups
5. Fill each muffin cup with the batter
6. Transfer your muffin tray to the oven and bake for 22-25 minutes (mine took 24 minutes), or until a toothpick inserted into a muffin comes out clean
7. Remove from oven, let cool for 15-20 minutes
8. Serve and enjoy!
Yields: 12 muffins