March 23, 2013

Killer Meat Sauce (SCD, Paleo, GAPS, Meat)

So there is a story behind the title of this one...

The other day in clinic we had a little boy coming in for a wheat food challenge and the bread they brought in for him to eat was called "Killer Bread." No joke. One of my staff made the comment that "I don't think I would be feeding my kids Killer Bread. Maybe if they had called it "Life Sustaining Bread" or something. Which then sparked a debate about the legality of actually claiming such a thing on a product...
So yes the Killer Bread (which if you believe that grains are detrimental to health then you will agree with me when I say that name is very appropriate) is the inspiration for the name of this recipe.
And of course there is no bread or grains of any kind involved.

I don't know about you, but I grew up eating spaghetti. This was one meal that my mom never had to convince us to eat. Now spaghetti is a little different without the noodles of course, but zucchini noodles make a reasonable, grain free, alternative.

Now I have to warn you that there is a lot of chopping involved in this recipe so give yourself some time!

Killer Meat Sauce (SCD, Paleo, GAPS, Meat) 


Ingredients

1 package ground beef
4 sausages of choice (pork or chicken are both fine)
8 medium sized tomatoes  (I like on the vine myself, but field or any other type will also do)
1 medium onion
1 package chopped mushrooms
1 green bell pepper
1 yellow bell pepper 
2 cloves garlic
1 TBSP italian seasoning (Simply Organic is SCD legal) 
1 TBSP dry basil seasoning 
Sea salt and pepper to taste 
1 can green olives (make sure the ingredients are SCD friendly if this is an issue)
1 can black olives 

Directions

1. Place a large (I mean large) pot on medium heat. Add enough fat of choice to cover bottom of pot (I used butter this time)
2. Add ground beef and start cooking
3. Remove sausages from casings and add the meat to the ground beef
4. Cook until the ground beef is no longer pink
5. While the meat is cooking dice your tomatoes and add to pot once beef is ready



6. Allow meat and tomatoes to simmer together for a few minutes, until tomatoes start to break apart
7. While tomatoes are cooking chop your onion and add to pot once tomatoes are ready



8. Cook the sauce for a few minutes (onion should start to go clear)
9. Add chopped mushrooms 
10. Chop both your bell peppers and once mushrooms are slightly cooked add to pot



11. Add seasonings and garlic to pot. Let the sauce simmer for about 15 minutes
12. Add olives to sauce and let simmer for another 10-15 minutes, or until sauce is desired thickness. 
** Note: This takes about an hour to make from start to finish so make sure you leave enough time! And while you are making the sauce stir occasionally

13. If you are making zucchini noodles prepare these when your sauce has about 10 minutes left to cook
14. Once sauce and noodles are finished, strain your noodles and place in your desired pasta bowl. Top with sauce and enjoy! 



Now you may have a few questions.
Olives? Yep olives. Trust me they are GOOD in spaghetti! And for those of you who don't like olives, well first of all, what is wrong with you? But second, don't knock them until you try them in this sauce! If you still hate them then I have no words. 



And yes I cook the meat in the same pot that I cook the sauce. This way you keep the flavour from the meat fat! Some of you may still be scared of eating too much fat. Now when fats have been linked to atheroscerosis and heart disease, it has been milk fat that has consistently shown this link. Hunter gatherer societies that exist today obtain the majority of their protein from animal fats and they have much lower rates of heart disease and ill health. I promise to write a post discussing just this issue in the future... but for now you will just have to take my word for it! 

Ok let me know what you think! And as always please feel free to ask any questions! 

2 comments:

  1. Most people are still horrified that we cook with bacon fat and eat so much meat. I feel so much better though, so it works for me! I like meat better than sugary treats anyway!

    woohoo zucchini noodles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I know... the looks I get from people when I tell them what I eat! And I agree... the less you eat sugar the less you miss it! I definitely crave more meat now instead...

    and my poor zucchini noodles are quite sad in this post since I just had to cut them with my knife! Limited tools on the road thats for sure!

    ReplyDelete