Butter Chicken Paleo Style (SCD, Paleo, GAPS, Poultry)
Finally a non-dessert recipe!
This is a modified version of the traditional butter chicken recipe and uses coconut milk instead of cream to make it dairy free and hence paleo friendly! I have never met a person who doesn't like butter chicken so hopefully you guys like this one. And I have to say making this was rather enjoyable. The smell of the sauce as it cooks is delicious! And this recipe has been taste tested by the boyfriend as well so I can confidently say it is a good one. I will me making this again for sure.
In other non-food related news I am officially on vacation. It is lovely. Six whole days away from the hospital. It's been about 6 months since I have had time off so this has been a well deserved break let me tell you! I have been doing a lot of non-medical things like shopping, baking, reading, catching up on some TV and getting lots and lots of sleep. And speaking of catching up on TV, the boyfriend and I only have two more episodes of Breaking Bad left! It is so good! Has everyone else already finished?? If you have don't ruin it for me! We will have to find a new show to replace that one soon. Does anyone have any suggestions?? What have you been watching recently?
Chicken Ingredients1 package chicken thighs (mine had 8)
4 TBSP Coconut oil
1. Preheat oven to 350F
2. Rinse the chicken, pat dry and place in a metal or glass baking dish
3. Put coconut oil in a microwave safe bowl and heat on high for 45-60 seconds (until melted)
4. Pour the coconut oil over the chicken thighs
5. Coat chicken with paprika, sea salt and pepper
6. Cover the pan with tin foil and bake for 40-45 minutes, until chicken is browned and the juices run clear
1/4 cup grassfed butter or ghee
1/4 cup coconut oil (or sub an extra 1/4 cup butter or ghee)
1/2 large onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 cups full fat coconut milk
1 1/2 cups tomato sauce (homemade or organic)
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp ground ginger
2 tsp garam marsala
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp sea salt
NOTE: Prepare the sauce while your chicken is cooking
1. Place a medium sized saucepan or pot onto medium heat on the stove
2. Add butter and coconut oil to pot and allow to melt
3. Add cumin seeds and diced onion to pot. Saute until onions are clear
4. Add crushed garlic and cook for a couple more minutes
5. Add the rest of the ingredients to the pot and allow to simmer for 25-30 minutes, stirring frequently (you will likely have to turn the heat down)
6. Once your chicken is done top with the sauce. This goes great with cauliflower rice as a side (I will post this separately in the coming days for those who have never made it before).
Please let me know what you think of this dish! It's a good one I promise! Lots of good fat and full of flavour. And not that hard to make. All bonuses if you ask me. But I may be biased since I did come up with it after all.
And as always please feel free to contact me with any comments or questions! Happy eating everyone!