Chocolate. Yep that's what today's recipe is all about. That comforting flavour that we all know and love. And even crave from time to time. And because I was craving something chocolatey I came up with these Paleo Banana Chocolate Muffin Bites. I grew up eating banana chocolate chip muffins and so these are a throw-back to some of those flavours of my childhood. Minus the inflammatory grains, refined sugars and GMO filled vegetable oils of course. As always these are grain and dairy free and they also are egg free since I know so many of you don't tolerate eggs. Instead these contain one of my favourite egg replacements, a grassfed gelatin egg. What is that do you ask? Head to the recipe below to find out! These are also compatible with the paleo, primal, gluten free and GAPS diets. You're welcome.
These muffin bites make a great breakfast, snack or even dessert. Yep, you name it these muffin bites can be it. And why did I call these muffin bites? Well to be honest I couldn't think of a better name. These are made in a muffin pan but they don't rise up to be as big as traditional muffins since they contain a few dense (yet very nutritious and delicious) ingredients that simply refuse to rise. But they taste so good that I still wanted to share the recipe with you. Especially since so many of you can't handle traditional muffins made with eggs. I understand your pain and didn't want you to miss out! I know, I'm pretty nice like that.
So besides making you these delicious muffin bites what else have I been up to since last week? Nothing crazy I must admit. It's been a week since I got back from Mexico and I am already missing the warm weather, beach and lack of work, but I have managed to get myself back into my regular routine of cooking, working out, studying and spending time with friends. I even tried a new surf board workout over the weekend. What is that do you ask? Trust me I had the same question. Basically it's you, a surfboard and some weights and the instructor takes you through various exercises both on and off the surfboard. It definitely tests your ability to balance that's for sure! Has anyone else tried it? What did you think?
I sure hope you try these, and of course, let me know what you think! And as always I would be thrilled if you followed my social media pages on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter.
Until next time, happy eating everyone!
Paleo Banana Chocolate Muffin Bites Recipe
2 1/3 cups almond flour (I use this brand)
1/3 cup brewed coffee
1/3 cup melted coconut oil (I recommend this brand)
1/4 cup honey
1 gelatin egg** (Using this type of grassfed gelatin)
1/2 tsp baking soda
pinch sea salt
1. Preheat your oven to 350F
2. Add the almond flour, coconut flour and cacao powder to a large mixing bowl
3. Puree the bananas in your blender or food processor until smooth, and transfer to the mixing bowl
4. Add the remaining ingredients to the bowl and mix well with your pastry blender
5. Line a muffin tray with silicone muffin cups
6. Fill each muffin cup until it is just below the top (these muffins don't rise very much so don't worry about them overflowing)
7. If adding the optional toppings do that now by sprinkling a little coconut sugar or shredded coconut onto the top of each muffin (I just used my fingers to do this)
8. Place the tray in the oven and cook for 24-26 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean
9. Remove from oven, let cool for approximately 15 minutes
10. Serve and enjoy!
10. Serve and enjoy!
Yield: 12 servings